About Wendee Nicole
Specializing in Science, Environmental Health, Conservation, Sustainability, Green Issues, Wildlife, Animals, and Eco-Travel
A man of sincerity is less interested
in defending the truth than in stating it clearly, for he thinks that if
the truth can be clearly seen it can very well take care of itself.
--Thomas Merton, No Man is an Island.
wendeenicole _AT_ gmail.com
Photos, Artwork, Design and Text Copyright (c)
Wendee Nicole (Holtcamp)
Put it before them briefly so they
will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they
will remember it, and above all, accurately so they will be guided by
| Online Writing Course |
Science & Faith |
- WAIT LIST! Online Writing Course. Classes run for 6 weeks and include feedback on 5 assignments, plus many helpful resources. Sign up as soon as interested to grab a spot More info here.
- Redemption Song Foundation (RSF). 2014 to present, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization working in Uganda to provide education and community development for indigenous Batwa tribe members. For more information, visit our website or our RSF Facebook page.
- Handmade baskets help Ugandan villagers displaced from home. PBS NewsHour wrote this about RSF’s efforts in Uganda to help the Batwa.
- San Jacinto Conservation Coalition: 1998 to 2006. We got the San Jacinto River nominated as an American Rivers’ Most Endangered River in 2006 due to sand mining, an issue that has received attention after Hurricane Harvey’s flooding. In the early 2000s, I warned that increased sedimentation from sand mining in the river and in Lake Houston could exacerbate flooding, which was prescient for Hurricane Harvey. See my articles, Muddy Waters &
My Latest Writing Clips
- Received the Mongabay Prize for Environmental Reporting, a 6-month Special Reporting Initiative grant to report on how tropical forest conservation and human livelihoods can coexist.
- Won the 2013 American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA) Award Best Science/Tech/Biz Mag article. The judges wrote, "Wendee's Did Tap Water Kill Lou Gehrig is science writing as it should be: sharp, clear prose that builds into a great story about an intriguing, sophisticated topic. Wendee's story stood out in a large and unusually strong field this year."
- Q&A with Paul Epstein, author of Changing Planet, Planet Health , Harvard professor, at Climate Central. Praised by the book's co-author Dan Ferber as "the most probing, incisive, interview that either of us have done so far."
- "I just read
Many Bayous, One River [Dec 2006 TX Parks & Wildlife Magazine].
Thank gosh we have writers like Wendee who have the history, the passion and the reporting and writing chops to take on a story like this. Kudos to her!!" —Tom Harvey, Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept
- I authored the AOL Travel Guide to Houston — an online guide with the best attractions, hotels, restaurants, and more, as well as a history and overview of the Bayou City! (no byline). "I'm almost finished with the first sweep through your guide and it is awesome! Great style and by far the cleanest copy I've received yet." - Editor Craig Guillot
- I received 1st Place 2006 IRMA Award (International Regional Magazine Association) for Best Nature Feature, Save the Monkeyface, published in Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine, April 2005.
- LATEST! In the face of a global pandemic, how can conservation efforts reduce the chance that poaching will spread disease? Ensia, University of MN Institute on the Environment. October 2020.
- The Long Game: Amid a sea of dangers, Kemp’s ridley sea turtles hang on. Defenders of Wildlife Magazine. Spring 2020.
- Hot Temperatures and Suicide Risk: New Insight into a Complex Topic. July 2020.
- Wristbands for Research: Using Wearable Sensors to Collect Exposure Data after Hurricane Harvey. Environmental Health Perspectives, Apr 2018.
- What we know — and don’t — about climate change in Africa. Ensia Magazine, Notables Blog. Feb 8, 2017.
- The WASH Approach: Fighting Waterborne Disease in Emergency Situations. To report this story, Wendee Nicole visited two refugee settlements in Northern Uganda, Arua District's Rhino Camp and the settlements of Adjumani District. Environmental Health Perspectives Jan 2015 plus many of my images!
- Articles produced under the Mongabay Prize for Environmental Reporting/Special Reporting Initiative:
- Pig Poop Power: Scaling up waste-to-energy technology could transform the hog farming industry. Discover Magazine, Mar 2014. (the full article will not be online until May).
- Obesogens: An Environmental Link to Obesity. (PDF here). Feb 2012. Environmental Health Perspectives. (Also related news story on PFOA/ C8 Lawsuit Findings)
- The Tiniest Catch Marine scientists are prowling the Bering Sea to learn how climate affects minute sea creatures and the lucrative fishery that depends on them. Nature. Nov 4, 2010. I also wrote 9 posts for Nature's Great Beyond blog when I was on the ship (that goes to the final one, with previous posts linked at the bottom).
- CAFOs (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) and Environmental Justice: The Case of North Carolina. Hog farms are disproportionately placed in low-income, minority neighborhoods. Environmental Health Perspectives, June 2013.
- Think for Yourself: Critical thinking skills are more important than ever in today's information environment. Ensia.com. Spring 2013 online only.
Save the Birds - With Doppler Radar. The first article I wrote for the award-winning Pacific Standard (then Miller-McCune) magazine, Apr/May 2011.
Picked up in a blog post on the Knight
Science Journalism Tracker: "Evocative, focused, surprising, and narratively pure" - Charlie Petit, KSJ blogger.
for the Firefox. Nepal's red panda is getting help from a small group of local forest guardians, but the highly endangered mammal still faces a troubled future as its habitat is lost to deforestation. National Wildlife Magazine. Feb/Mar 2009.
Can Eating Less Meat Curb Climate Change? An essay in The Daily Climate online. Published Jan 19, 2011.
- DIVING WITH SHARKS! In April 2008, Discovery Channel
sent me to Australia's Coral Sea with biologists and the Expedition Shark documentary crew. The first post, Fear, about our relationship with and to sharks, is one of my faves. The
rest are here.
- My 30 days of Consumer Celibacy.
Living Green dept. OnEarth Magazine, Summer 2007. I love this article, and check out the hilarious artwork on the PDF version!
Will Urban Sprawl K.O. the Koala? A wildlife hospital founded by the late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin is helping Australia's teddy-bearish marsupial weather the threat of fragmented forest habitat. June/July 2007, National Wildlife Magazine.
- Back to Nature: What is it about simplicity and solitude that inspires writers? My New Mexico Adventures Featured in E the Environmental Magazine
Magazine Writing Class
Learn to write for magazines and get paid for it. Originally designed for students interested in writing 'green' - anything environment, science, outdoor travel, natural history - it can and has been modified by students interested in writing about health, parenting, spirituality/religion and other topics.
Want to Be a Writer?
Listen to me on the WildSide News Talk Radio.
Do What You Love!
I've been at this for more than 15 years, and I love nothing more than going on
adventures with scientists around
the world and writing about it for magazines. Whether you're an aspiring or professional
writer, the course materials will meet you where you are at.
If you're a professional writer and would like to write for more nature,
conservation, travel and outdoor markets, this course is for you.
If you enjoy nature, wildlife, and conservation; or if you like writing or
journaling and are considering a career in writing, you might be pleasantly
surprised to learn how easy it is to publish with the right guidance and
Sign up now!
Get More Information at the
Magazine Writing Bootcamp Page
THINK! Science & Faith Issues
PO Box 876, Frisco TX 75034
- Nature Writing e-Course
- Video production
- Nonprofit writing
Available for annual reports, newsletters, research,
video production, multimedia, and any other writing projects. Inquire!